- Case StudyHelp.com
- Sample Questions
Department of Anthropology
Assessment Task: Research Essay
Word length: 1,500 words
‘In-text’ or Harvard style of referencing is recommended for all anthropology essays. Place a citation in brackets in the text of the essay, e.g. ‘Fox (1967, p.72) made the point that…’ or ‘Fox argues that incest is ‘not so much prevented as avoided’ (1967, p.72)…’.
This system, sometimes called the ‘Harvard’ system, is used in most anthropological publications.
Arrange the entries in your bibliography alphabetically by author’s surname. The list should include all and only the references cited in the text. Underline or use italics for the titles of books and journals.
Essay question: Answer it
- How does food intersect with identity? Discuss this question with reference to issues such as: gender.
- Anne Allison, Japanese Mothers and Obentos: The Lunch Box as Ideological State Apparatus. In Carole Counihan and Penny van Esterik (eds), Food and Culture: A Reader, Routledge: New York and London, 2013, 154-172.
- Anna Meigs, Food Rules and the Traditional Sexual Ideology. In Food, Sex, and Pollution, New Brunswick, New Jersey: Rutgers University Press, 31-44.
- Jeffrey Sobal, Men, Meat, and Marriage: Models of Masculinity, Food and Foodways, 13:1-2, 135-158.
- Alex McIntosh and Mary Zey, Women as Gate Keepers of food consumption: a sociological critique, Food and Foodways, 1989, 3:4, 317-332.
SEE ALSO ATTACHED POWERPOINT SLIDE FROM LECTURE
Research essay four criteria:
Correct grammar and no spelling errors. The writing is especially lucid. Correct referencing.
Demonstrates excellent research skills. Read widely on their chosen topic, incorporating sources beyond the course outline. At least six sources are cited.
Significant insight and original thought is shown in responding to the essay question. An exceptionally clear and focused argument has been developed. Identification and Superior integration of a comprehensive range of concepts, theories and debates.
Use of ethnographic / empirical examples:
Seamlessly makes use of carefully selected ethnographic or empirical details, integrating these with the larger exploration and arg