- Case StudyHelp.com
- Sample Questions
Part (A) / (20 marks)
Write an Essay of 1,500 words on:
“Application and Critical Evaluation of Efficient Market Hypotheses for a company during 2 years period”
- Discuss about Efficient Market Hypotheses.
- Take any one company listed on any stock exchange of the world as an example and study its share price over a 2 year period using the topics discussed in the module.
- Take 2 years data and apply and critically evaluate Efficient Market Hypotheses for that particular company. Use the contents discussed in the module and the below mentioned 2 research articles in your analysis.
- Show evidences for your arguments for special events like declaration of good / bad news, launching or discontinuing a new product, change of CEO, expansion, any other “news” and its impact on information and then impact on share prices. Provide clear evidences with dates and original news source.
- At the end, summarise with your own conclusion.
- The following shall be the criteria for marking the coursework:
- Depth and coverage of practical issues and theory… 10 marks
- Analysis and argument………………………….……. 5 marks
- Originality & Presentation formatting……………….. 2 marks
- Accurate Referencing of literature………………….…. 3 marks
Suggested Reference Research Articles: (read the below papers before you start working!)
a) Fama, Eugene. EFFICIENT CAPITAL MARKETS: A REVIEW OF THEORY AND
EMPIRICAL WORK. Journal Of Finance [serial online]. May 1970;25(2):383-417
b) Fama, Eugene. Efficient Capital Markets – II. THE JOURNAL OF FINANCE . VOL.
XLVI, NO. 5 . DECEMBER 1991
c) Fama, Eugene. Random Walks in Stock Market Prices. Financial Analysts Joumal (September/October 1965):55-59.
d) Chung, Dennis, Y.; Hradzil, Karel. Market Efficiency and the Post-Earnings Announcement Drift, Contemporary Accounting Research Vol. 28 No. 3 (Fall 2011) pp. 926–956 1 CAAA. doi:10.1111/j.1911-3846.2011.01078.x
Part (B) / (20 marks) Write a Report of 1,500 words on:
“Practical Application of Cost & Budgeting Practices in a company”
Learning outcomes: 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 as per the Learning Unit Narratives of this module.
Relevant chapters from Core Text book: Drury, C (2015). Management and Cost
Accounting, 9th edition, Cengage Learning. eText: ISBN-10 1473722896, ISBN-13 9781473722897
Print: ISBN-10 1408093936, ISBN-13 9781408093931
Please refer to the Chapter numbers: 2, 3, 8, 11, 15 and 16 from the above core textbook before starting on this part of the coursework.
- Select any one business organization from anywhere in the world where you have direct access. It can be a small business / store / medium sized business or a large company. It may or may not be listed on a stock exchange.
- Based on what you learn in the module, do a survey of the business about:
- Nature of the business in which the company operates and the company´s current situation
- Organization Structure
- Products / Services Portfolio
- Different types of cost with examples
- Budgeting practices
- Management control practices
- Critically evaluate the organization’s current budgeting and management control practices
- Critically evaluate (points in favour and against) the organizations costing and budgeting and then write your own conclusion and recommendations for the future changes / improvements of the company’s cost and budgeting practices.
- You must have taken at least 1 interview directly with the person involved in the business. (provide contact details of the interviewee in the Appendix).
- The following will the criteria for marking:
(i) Depth and coverage of topic: 10 marks
(ii) Quality of Interview & Analysis: 5 marks
(iii) Presentation and formatting: 2 marks
(iv) Accurate referencing of literature: 3 marks