- Case StudyHelp.com
- Sample Questions
The test is an institutional assessment indicator, important for the accreditation status of SBS Swiss Business School.
Directions: This is an individual exam. You are not allowed to use any papers or books or seek the help of a friend. Each section contains independent questions. Each of the questions or incomplete statements is followed by 4 suggested answers or completions. Select the one that is best in each case. Good luck!
1. Relatively enduring resource transactions flows, and linkages that occur among two or more organizations are called:
b. Inter organizational Relationships.
c. Resource Dependence.
d. Institutional Environment.
2. A system formed by the interactions of a community of organizations and their environment is referred to as a(n):
a. Inter Organizational Relationships
b. Organizational Ecosystem
c. Collaboration Network
d. Institutional Environment
3. In this new world, managers think about _______ rather than vertical structures.
c. Horizontal Structures
4. Which of the following is not part of the framework of inter-organizational relationships?
a. Population Ecology
c. Collaborative Network
d. Shared Competition
5. Which theory argues that organizations try to minimize their reliance on other organizations for the supply of important resources and try to influence the environment to make resources available?
a. Inter Organization Theory
b. Environmental Resource Theory
c. Resource Dependence Theory
d. Economic Supply Theory Answer
6. Which of the following statements is false?
a. Functional managers may be the head of a payroll
b. Functional managers often oversee several general
c. Functional managers may be responsible for making sure that payroll checks are issued on time and in the correct
d. General Managers may be responsible for a strategic business unit or a division.
7. General Managers usually have ________ managers reporting to them.
8. One who understands the workings of a business enterprise is aware of the fact that in large organizations, managers may be distinguished by the scope of the activities they manage. Therefore, which of the following statements is accurate?
a. Functional mangers supervise employees with general skills that may be applied to many
b. General Managers supervise employees with specialized skills in a single
c. General Managers may be responsible for the operation of a department, but only if it is very
d. General Managers are responsible for the overall operations of a more complex unit such as a company or division.
9. In what specific sequence do managers perform their managerial functions in order to achieve company goals?
a. Planning, Organizing, Leading, Controlling
b. Organizing, Leading, Controlling, Planning
c. Leading, Controlling, Planning, Organizing
d. None Of The Above Because The Functions Are Often Performed
10. American Express’ decision to grow their customer base, and establish global partners is an example of which managerial function?
11. All of the following are reasons managers plan except:
a. Coordinating Human, Material, and Information Resources.
b. Establishing an Overall Direction for the Organization’s Future.
c. Identifying And Committing the Organization’s Resources to Achieving Its Goals.
d. Deciding Which Tasks Must Be Done To Reach Those Goals.
12. Managers can better coordinate human, material, and information resources by:
c. Leading Team
d. Focusing On Issues.
13. In the process, managers set standards of performance, measure current performance against those standards, take action to correct any deviations, and adjust the standards if necessary.
14. Howard Schultz, CEO of Starbucks, believes that its success is due to competitive spirit, ability to respond to customers’ needs, and its process.
15. YUM! Brands are divided into five distinct restaurant brands for the purpose of serving the specialized needs of customers. What managerial function is being employed to achieve this type of clarity?
16. When Lois Dimpfel, vice president of IBM Worldwide Olympic Technology Systems, was organizing the team to bring the Salt Lake City Games to millions of TV viewers, she was primarily involved in the _________ managerial function.
17. Kerry Smith has just moved into a top-level managerial role with Pepsi products. Which of the following is not part of the planning process Smith will be engaged in?
a. Establishing directions for the organization
b. Identifying the organization’s resources to achieve organizational goals
c. Committing the organization’s resources to achieve organizational goals
d. Structuring relationships among employees that will enable them to carry out management’s plans and meet specific goals
18. Starbucks attributes its success to the managerial function of ________, which includes control procedures such as the criteria used to hire people, the type of coffee beans used, and the physical layout of stores.
19. The planning function is the dynamic process of making decisions that focus on__________.
b. Past Performance
c. Future Performance
d. Technical Skills
20. Once managers have defined goals for future performance, they must translate those relatively abstract desires into reality. The coordination effort to do this represents _________.