- Case StudyHelp.com
- Sample Questions
Looking for Module 7: Culture in Professional Communications (Get Answers)? Grab the opportunity to find free assignment sample related to all subjects in your Academic. Casestudyhelp.com is proud to offer online assignment help to the students of Australia, UK and USA.
Ah, culture! The one term we gloss over but are of utmost important in the world of business, especially when a blunder can cause organizational failure at the blink of an eye. Before participating in the thread, read the assigned articles and background material. As you read, think about some common intercultural blunders mentioned by J and t (2001) in the extracts below:
Some Intercultural Blunders
- Coca-Cola wanted Chinese characters for a phonetic equivalent of Coca-Cola, so it chose Ke Kou Ke La, which translates as ‘bite the wax tadpole’ or ‘female horse stuffed with wax’ depending on the dialect.
- In Taiwan, the translation of the Pepsi slogan ‘Come alive with the Pepsi generation’ was translated as ‘Pepsi will bring your ancestors back from the dead.’
- In a Bucharest hotel lobby: ‘The lift is being fixed for the next day. During that time we regret that you will be unbearable.’
- On a menu of a Swiss restaurant: ‘Our wines leave you nothing to hope for.’
- At a Hong Kong dentists: ‘Teeth extracted by the latest Methodists’
- In a Greek tailors: ‘Order your summer suit. Because is big rush we will execute customers in strict rotation.’
- In a Copenhagen airline office: ‘We take you bags and send them in all directions.’
- In an Acapulco hotel: ‘The manager has personally passed all the water served here.’
(Source: J and t, F. E. (2001). Intercultural communication: An introduction (third Ed.). Thousand Oaks: Sage)
Reference ID: #getanswers2001097