- Case StudyHelp.com
- Sample Questions
Students will form groups of 8 to 10 and research a specific natural or human-made disaster at a local, national or international level. For example: Victorian bushfires, Queensland floods, Italy earthquake, Nepal earthquake, Japan Tsunami, Asian Boxing Day Tsunami, Chernobyl Nuclear explosion, Wars (ISIS, Sudan, Afghanistan, Syria, and Iraq).
Student groups will envisage themselves as a team of social workers asked to plan a response to the disaster and its impact on local communities, families and individuals.
Your presentation will take a form that is chosen by the group (use of PowerPoint, video, YouTube, maps) and will take 25-30 minutes and take place during the final seminar
The presentation will contain the following:
- The nature of the disaster
- IMPACT OF SYRIAN ATTACKS ON THE COMMUNITIES AND GROUPS I.E groups and communities impacted
- The role(s) of social work practice in the initial and medium-term response to the disaster
- The social, cultural and economic issues to be considered in the social work response
- How you as individuals and a group of social work practitioners would implement specific social work practice frameworks.
The group will be assessed on the content of the presentation (connecting social work practice to disaster management), the structure and flow of the presentation (clarity & engagement with the audience) and the participation of all members of the group.
Each group is required to manage the process of researching and planning the presentation, with each group ensuring there are equal amounts of work from each member of the group. This includes time management, roles and responsibilities, communication and conflict management.
- This is an academic style report worth 55% of the final grade and needs to follow the academic conventions of structure, style and referencing with attention paid to avoid plagiarism. The essay will be marked on the basis of:
- Structure of the report plus spelling and grammar
- Content and research and use of recent material
- Referencing and reference list (APA version 6)
- Coherence and logic (clear links between theory development and social work practice)
- Timely submission via Moodle.