- Case StudyHelp.com
- Sample Questions
Networking Technology-Unit Code NWT
- The coursework which consists of THREE laboratory investigations (Labs) and a Case Study must be submitted via www. stponline.co.uk
- Please check the submission date and time and ensure that coursework is submitted on time otherwise you may incur a financial penalty. Refer to The Student Handbook.
- Requests for an extension must be in accordance with the guidelines set out in the college regulations, with the necessary documentary evidence to support your request. Refer to The Student Handbook.
- General guidelines for submission of coursework:
- All work must be word-processed and must be of a “good” standard.
- Document margins should not be more than 2.5cm or less than 1.5cm.
- Font size in the range of 11 to 14 point, distributed to include headings and body text. Preferred typeface to be of a common standard such as Arial, Calibri or Times New Roman for the main text.
- All work completed including any software constructed may not be used for any purpose other than the purpose of intended study without prior written permission from St Patrick’s College.
- Plagiarism is presenting somebody else’s work as your own. It includes: copying information directly from the Web or books without referencing the material; submitting joint coursework as an individual effort; copying another student’s coursework; stealing coursework from another student and submitting it as your own work. Suspected plagiarism will be investigated and if found to have occurred will be dealt with according to the procedures set down by the College. Please see your Student Handbook for further details of what is / isn’t plagiarism.
DO NOT LEAVE YOUR SUBMISSION UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED DUE TO FAILURE OF PERSONAL COMPUTERS, USB MEMORY STICKS etc.
Remember to keep evidence of your submitted coursework.
Learning Outcomes being assessed by this coursework:
|Learning Outcomes||Assessment criteria for passTo achieve each outcome a learner must demonstrate the ability to:|
|1. Evaluate networks and networking approaches||1. discuss the role of networks within different organizations and the resource implications of networks2. discuss the different distributed computing approaches of peer-to-peer and client-server networks
3. explain the functions of client and server computers on a network and give at least one example of interactions between a client and server computer
4. describe the advantages of client-server approaches particularly over centralized services
|2. Investigate basic hardware components and the role of network operating system NOS) software||1. draw and describe basic network topologies and define basic network components2. discuss role of software and hardware
3. discuss factors influencing choice of networks stating advantages and disadvantages that arise from different topologies
4. determine a suitable network for a given site
|3. Explore the connection of network components||1. explain different connection materials including their specifications and list the criteria you would use to choose such materials2. describe basic signaling methods and their characteristics
3. explain the role of the network interface card and carry-out selection, installation and configuration of a network interface card using NOS tools
4. identify how the relevant parameters and protocols are set
5. discuss factors that affect the performance of network interface cards
6. determine a cabling and hardware connection configuration for a given site
|4. Explain the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model and common network architectures
|1. present the OSI layered model
2. explain the role of drivers in a network, discussing their relationship to the NOS and OSI model
3. discuss how drivers are selected and implemented for various network components; install NIC driver and demonstrate how to remove and update
4. explain the detailed operation of different IEEE 802.N
5. refer the 802 protocols to the existing OSI layers
6. relate how architecture influences access and control of the network and draw out merits of different architectures
7. describe scenarios where one architecture might be favored over another
|5. Evaluate data transmission and protocols in a network environment||1. discuss the role of packets and how they are built up from their various components, giving an example where data packets are transmitted through different layers of the OSI model
2. discuss the role of protocols at different layers of the OSI model, describing the function of specific protocols
3. explain examples of transmission between different network layers
The Course Work consists of THREE Laboratory Investigations (Labs) plus ONE Case Study.
The brief for each Laboratory Investigation is given on an individual work sheet. The completing of each task and investigation must be recorded in a Virtual Log Book.
A small import/export organization is planning to upgrade its computer networking arrangements. The organization employing twenty five people is located in a city center office with a warehouse located ten miles away. The current system is paper/centralized services based.
The new requirement is for;
- Receptionists (2) to have access to a centralized customer records database.
- Order Processing Staff (4) to have access to the customer records database, transportation web sites via the internet, and secure payment facilities.
- Warehouse Staff (6) who require computerized handling instructions.
- Sales and Marketing (4) to have remote access to customer database.
- Executive Management Team (3); access to a secure Management Database.
Additionally all staff to have access to a hosted email service and a company Intranet.
As an IT Consultant you have been approached by the organization to produce a detailed Proposal to meet the above requirements.
This Proposal must include in detail the following 8 items. Alternative solutions must be discussed with a clear justification of the chosen option.
- The role of the network, the benefits it will bring to the business and the resource implications
- Network topology
- Network components and connection materials, including their specification
- Cabling and hardware configuration
- Software requirements
- A detailed Network Diagram(s)
- A discussion of the performance issues related to your selection of technology, software, network components, connection materials and configuration
- An explanation of how network architecture influences access and control of a network, together with a brief discussion of the merits of different architectures and scenarios where one architecture might be favored over another.
The Case Study addresses Assessment Criteria 1.1, 2.1, 2.2, 3.1, 3.6, 4.6, 4.7
|1. Evaluate networks and networking approaches||a. Discuss the role of networks within different organizations and the resource implications of networks|
|b. Discuss the different distributed computing approaches of peer-to-peer and client-server networks|
|c. Explain the functions of client and server computers on a network and give at least one example of interactions between a client and server computer|
|d. Describe the advantages of client-server approaches particularly over centralized services|
You can also use if you want these case works to develop the assignments if you want. Please do a wonderful job.
Double click on each Lab to open the work to do
Lab# 1 Network, Lab# 2 P2P, Lab#3 The OSI Model
To get answer chat with online assignment adviser