- Case StudyHelp.com
- Sample Questions
Need Help with Surgical Medical Case Study question and answers for Nursing student? See NUR251 Assessment 1 S2 2019 Assignment Essay template and NUR250 Case study Nursing Care of a Patient in a Medical example – Ask Your Question FREE and Get Expert Answered )
Case Study Surgical Medical Case Study Essay Example:
Information about the required line spacing and font size and type is in the Assessment 1 information document in the Assessment 1 folder on NUR251 Learnline. Take a minute to check that this document meets those requirements.
Task 1 – Brief Summery as per question
Task 2 – Nursing Care Plan: David Smith
Nursing problem: Acute Pain (Related to: Tissue inflammation and due to infection.)
Goal of care: Minimise the pain and ensure comfort to David.
- Perform comprehensive assessment of pain using PQRST.
- Determine possible cause of pain or what triggers the pain.
- Provide comfort measures such as back massage, changed position or use of hot or cold compress.
- Administered analgesia for pain as per prescribed.
- To determine any changes from previous reports and to rule out the worsening of underlying conditions or developing complications.
- To minimise the pain and possible management that would not further aggravate pain.
- To provide comfort to David and provide non-pharmacological pain management.
- To decrease the pain.
- David’s pain is control and decrease in intensity using pain scale.
- Using pharmacology and non-pharmacological pain management strategies helps relives David’s pain.
- Giving comfort, relaxed muscle tone and body posture decrease the pain.
Nursing problem: Risk of fluid imbalance; Related to: Excessive fluid retention
Goal of care: To manage the fluid intake and output.
- Weight David daily o the same time and with the same clothing.
- Monitor and record fluid intake and output including stools, emesis and IVs antibiotics.
- Provide fluid restrictions for 1200mls fluid intake per day.
- Monitor David’s heart rate, blood pressure and respiratory rate. Inspect the jugular vein.
- Note the colour of urine, urine osmolality and specific gravity.
- Weight is best indicator of the fluid status of David. To determine any changes in weight and indicate of fluid retention.
- Assessment can help estimate fluid loss and urine output to determine adequate replacement.
- To minimise the fluid intake and prevent from fluid retention and oedema.
- Fluid volume excess can cause increase blood pressure, tachycardia and tachypnoea. Jugular ein may be distended.
- Maintain urine output of 0.5mL/kg/hr and the normal urine osmolality and specific gravity.
Key (if required) for Task 3 & Task 4
NUR251 Assessment 1 Marking Rubric Format and style
Tasks 1, 3 and 4 – Assessing – Patient education- Documentation (15)
Demonstrates a limited knowledge of assessment, documentation and patient education. Does not demonstrate safe practice, knowledge of the relevant assessments and/or explain their relevance to renal function. Unsatisfactory rationales or explanations for care planning and assessments and/ or limited ability to explain and justify nursing actions and education including use of medications. Documentation is not comprehensive and/or does not meet legal requirements. (0 – 5 marks)
Demonstrates satisfactory knowledge of assessment, documentation and patient education. Rationales demonstrate satisfactory ability to conduct the relevant assessments and explain their relevance to renal function. Demonstrates a satisfactory ability to provide relevant and comprehensive patient education including use of medications. Documentation is clear, succinct and meets most legal requirements, with errors. (5 – 10 marks)
Demonstrates excellent safe practice knowledge for assessment, documentation and patient education. Explains clearly, succinctly and specifically how to conduct the relevant assessments and explains their relevance to renal function.Demonstrates a high level ability to provide relevant and comprehensive patient education including use of medications. Documentation is clear, succinct and meets legal requirements – (10 – 15 marks)
Task 2 – Planning care (15)
Poor interpretation of task or Limited or little ability to develop individualised, comprehensive nursing care relevant to the case study and nursing problem and/or limited to no critical thinking demonstrated in planning and evaluating nursing care. (0 – 5 marks)
Demonstrates satisfactory ability and/or developing critical thinking ability to develop individualised, comprehensive nursing care relevant to the case study and nursing problem, including evaluating nursing care. 8 – 15 nursing actions/interventions identified. (5 – 10 marks)
Demonstrates high level ability and critical thinking to develop individualised, comprehensive nursing care relevant to the case study, nursing problem, and evaluating nursing care. More than 15 actions/interventions identified. All interventions are within the scope of the registered (10 – 15 marks)
How to write a Best Nursing Case Study Essay Example of Surgery Preparation of Patient David Smith Nursing Assessment Essay- See Below Brief NUR251 Nursing Assessment question & answers sample