- Case StudyHelp.com
- Sample Questions
There is a word limit of 1500 words. Use your computer to total the number of words used in your assignment. However, do not include the reference list at the end of your assignment in the word count. In-text citations will be included in the additional 10% word count. If you exceed the word limit by more than 10%, the marker will stop marking at 1500 words plus 10%.
The aim of assessment the purpose of this assessment is to enable students to:
- Explain in the visual format (concept map) the causes, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, diagnostic procedures, management, course, prognosis, and prevention of Acute Severe Asthma (Learning outcomes 1 and 5).
- Explain the underlying pathophysiology of the clinical manifestations of an Acute Severe Asthma (Learning outcomes 1 and 5).
- Discuss nursing strategies and evidence-based rationales to manage a patient with Acute Severe Asthma (Learning outcomes 2, 4 and 5).
- Describe the nursing role and responsibilities in the use of pharmacological interventions related to Acute Severe Asthma (Learning outcomes 3 and 5)
Assessment Details you are to develop a concept map and answer three questions related to Acute Severe Asthma. References are to include three (3) recent, relevant journal articles as well as textbook material and evidence-based resources (to a total of at least 6 references).
Concept Map (250 words) – The concept map must be computer generated.
- When researching the topic, use the pathophysiology template that is on the unit vUWS site to assist you in organizing your information. The template will also assist in identifying key concepts and their relationships.
- Concept boxes should have titles with relevant content summarised within the box.
- The summarised content may be in point format and size 10 font (Arial or Times New Roman) may be used on the concept map.
- Concept boxes must be linked using lines and linking words/phrases to demonstrate logical relationships between concepts.
- For conciseness, numbers may be used to replace traditional APA referencing within concept boxes. If you use numbers, you must include a reference list in numerical order, corresponding to your references immediately after the concept map.
- Critical thinking and creativity are essential components of the concept map. The map design needs to be visually stimulating.
Jackson Smith, an 18-year-old male, was admitted to the Emergency Department at 9 pm with severe breathlessness.
His family informed you that the patient has a history of Asthma that had been diagnosed when he was two years old. On admission to the Emergency Department the clinical manifestations were:
- Severe dyspnoea, inability to speak sentences in one breath
- Respiratory rate of 32 breaths / minute
- SpO2 90%, on room air
- BP 150/85 mmHg
- The pulse rate of 130 beats / minute
- Auscultation of lungs identifies diminished breath sounds and widespread wheeze
A chest x-ray was performed and showed a clear and hyper-inflated lung field.
A blood gas was taken:
Diagnosis of Acute Severe Asthma was made.
Question 1 (650 words) (Learning outcome 1 and 5)
Explain the pathogenesis causing the clinical manifestations with which Jackson Smith presented with.
Question 2 (300 words) (Learning outcomes 2, 4 and 5)
Discuss two high priority nursing strategies to manage Jackson and provide evidence-based rationales for these strategies.
Question 3 (300 words) (Learning outcome 3 and 5)
Three of the drugs that were given to Jackson were continuous nebulized Salbutamol and nebulized Ipratropium bromide (4/24) and IV Hydrocortisone 100mg (6/24).
- Discuss the mechanism of action of these drugs, and relate to the underlying pathogenesis of an Acute Severe Asthma. And,
- Describe the nursing implications (monitoring for and responding to adverse effects, and evaluating therapeutic effect) when administering these drugs to a patient with an Acute Severe Asthma.
When answering questions:
- Responses are to use full sentences, paragraphs, correct spelling and grammar.
- The word limit for the guided questions is 1250 words. Use your computer to total the number of words used.
In-text citations will be included in the additional 10% of the word count. If you exceed the word limit by more than 10%, the marker will stop marking.
- Provide a reference list in APA 6th Edition style with a minimum of 6 academic references which could include
Journal articles, textbooks, government websites, and reports, and credible organizational websites (such as
The Agency for Clinical Innovation (https://www.aci.health.nsw.gov.au/)
- Appropriate resources must be selected and accurately used. The cited references must support your discussion or explanation.
- Ensure that your concept map and guided questions are one document to upload through Turnitin.