- Case StudyHelp.com
- Sample Questions
NUTN402 Nutrition and Health Promotion
Assessment 3. Public health nutrition programme plan
55% of final assessment
Submit online by 11pm: 15 May 2018
In completing this assignment, you will develop an integrated* understanding of planning “target audiencecentred”,
“theory-informed” public health nutrition programmes that reduce inequalities in health.
(* You are expected to synthesise learning from Modules 1-5 and Assessments 1 & 2.)
Plan a two-year public health nutrition programme to improve the target audience’s eating behaviour.
For your programme needs assessment (and plan), you can either:
• use the Assessment 2 scenario and needs assessment results (assumed ecological needs of low-income parents of
primary school-aged children in your locality to increase fruit and vegetable consumption), or
• choose your own target audience and specific eating behaviour. If you do this, include a 1-page summary
(Appendix C) outlining the target audience’s assumed ecological needs for improving this behaviour. (You’re not
expected to collect data for this learning activity, a blend of available evidence and your observations is fine.)
Seek advice from Louise regarding suitability.
Your programme plan needs to show your integrated understanding of:
• social marketing (designing a programme that meets the target audience’s ecological needs – key
psychosocial and environmental factors influencing their eating behaviour),
• three Ottawa Charter Actions (‘Reorient health services’ through ‘Developing personal skills’
(behavioural communications), and environmental change – either: ‘Create supportive (food)
environment’, ‘Build healthy public policy’, or ‘Strengthen community action’),
• two behavioural change theories (Social Cognitive Theory and one environmental change theory), and
• Treaty of Waitangi principles (Māori partnership, participation, protection).
• Review Modules 1-5 and your feedback on Assessments 1 and 2
• Appendix C (if NOT using Assessment 2 needs assessment findings): Write a brief summary of the
target audience’s assumed ecological needs for the specific eating behaviour
• Download the Assessment 3 Template (delete Louise’s embedded tips prior to submission). Use this
electronic template and checklist to plan your public health nutrition programme
• Appendix A: Draw a schematic map with “target audience” at the centre and these outer rings:
1. Influential people or settings visited frequently (include food choice behavioural settings)
2. A key organisation that influences each setting in ring 1 (proximal leverage point)
3. A key organisation that influences each organisation in ring 2 (distal leverage point)
Highlight relationships that are most influential (frequent and strong influence) – Tips in template
• Use your map to select 1 or 2 settings for your programme – Is an intervention in this setting
practicable, appropriate and likely to reach a large proportion of your target audience in order to
achieve the expected outcomes (objective(s) and ultimately the Goal)?
Write a 3 to 3.5-page evidence-informed plan for a 2-year public health nutrition programme*, which
o Programme Goal (specify targeted eating behaviour – not the health outcome)
o Two Objectives (1. expected psychosocial change, 2. expected environmental change)
o One Strategy for each Objective (practicable, appropriate intervention (product) in an appropriate setting
(place) that requires minimal effort and resources to participate (price) and is well publicised (promoted), so
a large % of the target audience can be reached and the desired outcome (objective) can be achieved)
o For Objective 1 Strategy (behavioural communications), in table form, give examples of message content to
apply each Social Cognitive Theory construct (reference integration of SPARC/Appendix C findings).
o For Objective 2 Strategy (environmental change), in table form, briefly explain how each concept from one
environmental change theory will be addressed.
o References (Vancouver citation style) including:
• 5-10 NUTN402 essential readings that informed the design of your programme
• Reference SPARC dataset/Appendix C to show where you’ve used needs assessment findings to design
your programme so it meets the unique needs of the target audience.
These tips and additional tips are included in the template.
• Appendix B:
o Justify the strengths of your programme, using logic and references (~150 words)
o Critically discuss specific limitations of your programme AND how you could overcome these
limitations (~350 words)
By 11:00 pm on Tuesday 15 May, submit the following documentation online for marking
(Blackboard NUTN402 Assignments -> Assessment 3 folder):
1. Your programme plan – 3.5 page limit (MAXIMUM)
2. Appendix A: Map of target audience influencers (see previous page; hand-drawn is fine) – 1 page limit
3. Appendix B: Supporting documentation – 500 word limit (state word count; bullets are fine):
4. Appendix C (if NOT using Assessment 2 needs assessment findings): Target audience’s assumed
ecological needs for the eating behaviour – 1 page limit
5. References – use Vancouver citation style
Marks will be based on your conceptual understanding* of programme planning concepts, using the
marking schedule on the next page. Reports over the page/word limits will have marks deducted.
* explained in the first item under Blackboard NUTN402 Assignments