- Case StudyHelp.com
- Sample Questions
Project: P&G in India
Description: Procter & Gamble (P&G), established in 1837, is a multinational company and one of the largest consumer packaged goods companies in the world, providing personal care products, cleaning agents food and beverage. It operates in 80 countries with 129,000 employees worldwide. In 2014, the company reached revenues of $82.6 billion
The company has one of the largest and strongest portfolios of trusted brands, including Pampers, Tide, Ariel, Always, Pantene, Charmin, Downy, Lams, Crest and Olay. P&G has two operating divisions called Global Business Units (GBU): Beauty Grooming and Household care. Each GBU is meant to define and drive its strategy through the understanding of the consumer needs.
The P&G market is organized geographically: North America, Western Europe, Central/Eastern Europe, Middle East/Africa, Latin America and Asia.
You work in a Project Team, for the Global Business Services Department, in charge of helping GBUs to better answer consumer needs by providing: retailer knowledge for each market, innovative business plans for each country, technology and processes.
After months of political gridlock, at the end of 2014, the Indian government approved the entry of large international supermarket chains into the country’s retail sector. But there are some issues to be considered: retailing competitors (Carrefour, Tesco, Wal- Mart,…), and the local retail traders (vigorously opposed to compete with foreign giants, pressing the government to establish entry barriers).
Project Management Case Study Scenario
In this scenario the required skills are following: International Strategy; Project Management; Retailing; Emerging markets; International Negotiation and Sales + Marketing. Since this is a strategic market for the company, the P&G Board has assigned your Project Team to organize all the work to be done to deliver: a project plan including scope, milestones, resources, risks and stakeholders involved, to perform a report about a Hypermarket Channel Strategy in India. The initial P&G Board requirements are:
- Ensure that the Indian regulatory framework allows the entry of P&G products
in large international supermarket chains.
- Ensure that there is enough market size for the entry of P&G products and
- Ensure the need (or not) for adaptation of P&G products to the Indian market
and the buying behavior.
- Ensure distribution channels and local logistics centers.
- Ensure the need for specific marketing programs for the Indian market.
- Identify the resources required to launch this internationalization strategy,
costs, schedule, potential risks and stakeholders.
Project Management Case Study Questions for the Development
As a Project Manager, answer the next questions for the development of an Internationalization Strategy for P&G in India:
- a) What are the most important stakeholders of this project and the critical success factors?
- b) What are your estimation of time and your estimation of human resources
(and profile of your project team) to perform this project?
- c) How would you organize all the work to be done of this project?